How to Prevent Foot Pain at Work
No matter what career field you’re in, if you work while on your feet, then you’re no stranger to foot pain. While foot pain occurs from either an accident or overuse, there are ways you can try to prevent it from occurring.
- Make sure you work in comfortable shoes. This is, perhaps, the most crucial aspect when it comes to preventing foot pain. Unfortunately, most places don’t always have comfortable shoes as a part of the work uniform. If that’s the case, you can buy gel or cushioned inserts and place them inside of your shoes. After all, that’s better than nothing. But if you get to choose your work shoes, make sure they fit and have padded soles. You’ll also want the ones with the best arch support.
- Consider a padded floor mat. If you have to stand in one spot during work hours, try standing on a padded floor mat. This will reduce the strain from standing for an extended period of time upon a hard surface.
- Make time for some stretches during the day. Especially your calves and feet, as this will relieve tension and soreness.
- During breaks, elevate your feet. Prop them up while sitting so they too can briefly rest.
- Treat yourself to some pampering every now and then. Whether at home or a spa/nail salon, treat your toes to a pedicure and/or foot massage to help with soreness and swelling.